I’m doing the fitbit thing lately and I’m loving all the extra energy I get from running on that torture device called a treadmill every day, but the low calorie thing is hard. I can keep my calorie intake low while sitting at my desk all day, but after a good workout after work, I crave substance. Thank God I somehow I managed to stumble upon a legit recipe for a creamless cream sauce and I am so happy I did. I plugged in my own herbs and roasted mushrooms to create a killer sauce to smother chicken and cauliflower rice in.
This meal is pretty easy, and by my count around 434 calories per (large) serving. I can burn that in 45 minutes on the torture device! Easy Peasy, so check it:
1 head cauliflower
1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
3/4 teaspoon salt
For Cream Sauce
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
2/3 cup long- or medium-grain white rice
5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or “no-chicken” broth
1 cup dry white wine
1/4 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
Freshly ground pepper, preferably white
2 cups sliced mushrooms (your choice, but don’t do plain white button, boo. Stop being lame. Go for a mixture of crimini, oyster, shitake, or baby bella if you can).
2 tablespoons melted coconut, olive, or avocado oil
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning or a mixture of dried savory herbs of your choice.
Salt N Pepa to taste
1 rotisserie chicken
1. Start your Cauliflower Rice and your Roasted Mushrooms.
2. Throw them in the oven together.
3. While those guys are cooking, shred your rotisserie chicken and
4. Make your cream sauce.
5. Combine 2 cups chicken, 1 cup sauce, mushrooms and cauliflower rice and serve RIGHT NOW (although leftovers are awesome, too).
6. Freeze the rest of the cream sauce. It will last for 3 months, and you can put it on basically anything you would have normally drowned (your sorrows) in ranch dressing.
7. Drink the rest of the bottle of wine because this meal was harder than Charity’s stupid graphic said it would be.